Monday, July 03, 2006

I am drawing a blank. I have nothing to say. (OK! Those of you who know me IRL can lift your jaws off the floor now).

I am still digesting the message this week. I have been going back and forth about replying to Jules' post at
Everyday Mommy about the direction the church in general is going.

This week Pastor Jeff talked a bit about "stuff" getting in the way of hearing God's word. Whether it be the kids, bills, the announcements at church or the problems with the music (we had had a small sound system glich - apparently the practice session for the worship band had been a trainwreck as well). That those things were Satan trying to take the Word from us, trying to distract us from worship. At this point I also had an epiphany about homeschooling and the difficultly I had making the decision - that it had been Satan trying to stop me from raising my children in a Christian home. (Ok - again those of you who know me may be surprised to "hear" me talking like that - but Hey! We all grow up sometime - it just takes me a little longer than most)

What I remember from the service is this passage

Mark 6:25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

We are supposed to let go of our everyday worries, and let God take care of our needs. I have a hard time with that. I am still digesting this.

Also today (gosh I guess I had a lot to say afterall!) we went out to a local diner for dinner. Things we going fine, we were about halfway though our meal and Thing 1 says

"Mama! Did you forget something?" (this has been an ongoing thing with him and it usually involves forgetting to BUY him stuff so I am mildly irritated)
"No baby, I don't think so"
"We forgot to say our dinner prayer!"

Oh no, I was embarrassed. NOT that we had forgotten the prayer (since praying before our dinner meal is something we have only been doing for a little more than a week) but that he wanted to do it in a PUBLIC PLACE.
What is wrong with me? There is NOTHING wrong with wanting to pray in public but for a second I tried to discourage him. I realized what I was doing and had him go ahead anyway (Thing 1 likes to lead us, he gets real pride out of it) So we sat in the restaurant and said our prayers.

I don't know WHY I was so embarrassed except that I rarely see anyone pray in public. Maybe that is part of the problem.

I know that I am proud of my son for bringing it up.

No comments: